Register for a Workshop
Better Choices, Better Health® SD (BCBH-SD) offers a suite of FREE evidence-based Chronic Disease Self-Management Education and Physical Activity Programs.
Stay active and connected! Every workshop is built on tried and true ways of achieving better health at any age or ability level. Plus, you can join any program from the comfort of your own home.
Choose from different types of workshops that best fit your needs:
- Try a self-study approach: BCBH-SD @ Home
- Join an online group class: BCBH-SD Live!
- Connect with an in-person group to socialize and walk at your own pace: Walk With Ease
- Set walking goals and join online exercise sessions: Take a Step and Walk With Ease
- Increase your strength and flexibility with in-person exercise workshops: Fit & Strong!
- Try Fit & Strong! from home with virtual workshops: Fit & Strong! @ Home
- Step up your commitment with an online wellness series: Small Steps to Healthy Living
Need help finding and registering for a program that best fits you? Call 1-888-484-3800.
Please note: Limited in-person workshops are being offered in South Dakota. Due to COVID-19, specific workshop guidance is in place for all leaders and participants attending an in-person workshop. Any workshops held indoors require all leaders and participants to wear face coverings and maintain social distancing. Participants will be asked to sign a waiver, acknowledging they are aware of the risks associated with joining an in-person workshop. Virtual programming is still strongly suggested for South Dakotans.
Self-Management Education Workshops
Available for adults impacted by chronic disease, chronic pain, diabetes and cancer.
BCBH-SD In-Person Group Workshops
BCBH-SD is a community-based, chronic disease self-management program offering workshops for adults impacted by chronic disease, chronic pain, diabetes, and cancer. Participants set goals and make actions plans to improve their health and quality of life. In-person workshops meet 2 1/2 hours each week for 6 weeks.
Currently postponed due to COVID-19.
BCBH-SD @ Home Self-Study Toolkit with Weekly Group Calls
Improve your health and wellbeing with a set of free tools you can use at home to guide you as you create your personal wellness plan.
- 6-week program
- Small group, 1 hour weekly phone check-ins led by a certified BCBH-SD leader
- Toolkit including a supplemental book, relaxation and exercise CDs, self-guided study resources, and a pre-test
BCBH-SD Live! Small-Group Zoom Sessions
Connect online with a small group of people to support and improve your health and wellness together.
- 6-week program
- 2.5 hour weekly sessions via Zoom
- Led by 2 BCBH-SD certified leaders
- 6-12 participants per workshop group
- Free supplemental book and CD
Walk With Ease In-Person Group Walking Program
Join a group of your peers to discuss health education, walk together, and learn how to exercise safely and comfortably.
- 6-week program
- 1-hour weekly sessions led by CPR certified leaders
- Brief education discussion
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- 10-35 minute walk at your pace
- Optional activities and exercises using the class materials
- Free Walk With Ease guidebook
Questions about workshop requirements and safety? Email Nikki Prosch or call 605-688-6409.
Take a Step & Walk With Ease Self-Guided Walking Program with Small-Group Zoom Sessions
Engage in self-study lessons and connect online with a group of people to practice how to walk safely and comfortably, improve flexibility, strength, and reduce pain.
- 6-week program
- 30-minute, live group weekly sessions via Zoom
- Led by a Walk With Ease and CPR certified leader
- Free Walk With Ease guidebook and walking resources help keep you motivated
Fit & Strong! In-Person Group Workshops
Fit & Strong! is a community-based, physical activity program. It uses flexibility and strength training, aerobic walking, and health education to promote behavior change in individuals. In-person workshops meet 90-minutes, three times a week for eight weeks OR 90-minutes, two times a week for twelve weeks.
Fit & Strong! @ Home Group Zoom Sessions with Online Portal
Fit & Strong! @ Home is the online & remote adaptation of the Fit & Strong! program. The core components and all safety measures from traditional F&S! still apply along with additional safety measures and steps related to the online delivery. Fit & Strong! @ Home is done at the comfort of your own home, using a virtual delivery through Zoom and an online portal.
Small Steps to Healthy Living Self-Guided Walking Program with Small-Group Zoom Sessions
The Small Steps to Healthy Living six-week wellness series combines the BCBH Live! Chronic Pain workshop with Take a Step & Walk With Ease!
- Each BCBH Live! Chronic Pain session is approximately 2.5 hours once a week
- Each Take a Step & Walk With Ease session is 30 minutes once a week
- Live group participation via Zoom
- Weekly emails and private Facebook group access
- Free Walk With Ease and Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain books and a Moving Easy CD